websitesarelovely

stuff in my head and on the web

Banksy Rat

Posted by websitesarelovely on Thursday 29 April 2010


BanksyRat02, originally uploaded by websitesarelovely.

I wondered why this image got so many views yesterday...

Where Banksy is involved, there usually are no accidents, but it truly does appear to have been an accident that a street-cleaning crew in Melbourne, Australia, painted over a mural by that graffiti artist and provocateur. The Associated Press reported that Susan Riley, the deputy lord mayor of Melbourne, dispatched street cleaners to Hosier Lane there after residents complained about squalid conditions in an alley known for its displays of public art. Among the works was a stencil of a goggle-wearing rat created by Banksy during a visit to Melbourne in 2003 — and removed by the crew, which was instructed to eliminate all graffiti from the area. In an interview on Australian radio Kathy Alexander, the chief executive of the city, said, “Unfortunately the contractors were not made aware by us that that was an important piece, and unfortunately that means the piece is gone.”

Source: http://www.nytimes.com

0 comments:

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Previous Posts

About me


Neil Richards aka websitesarelovely aka jetpac magazine.
web designer by day - everything else the rest of the time.
photographer, designer, print, web, (ex-painter), magazine contributor, husband, godfather, got fatter, etc..

run(ish) my own online magazine:
www.jetpacmagazine.com/
decided to split my flickr personality and add my illustrative work:
www.flickr.com/photos/jetpacmagazine/


corporate(ish) site showing my 9-10 years of web design for some quality companies in the games industry and corporate big-hitters:
www.websitesarelovely.com/
my flickr photos
www.flickr.com/photos/websitesarelovely/

anyway - enough about me, tell me about yourself. hello@websitesarelovely.com

Tags

stuff in my head and on the web