websitesarelovely

stuff in my head and on the web

silver lining

Posted by websitesarelovely on Wednesday 23 December 2009


Manchester Rainbow, originally uploaded by websitesarelovely.

I started 2009 putting in a lot of hard work with no gratitude - working an extra 2 weeks of man hours in a 4 week period, and then faced one of the most difficult times of my career.

A ridiculous round of redundancies, at at time when the digital workload was at it's heaviest - this was the final nail in the coffin I had been constructing for quite some time.
So I took the leap, made the decision to take voluntary redundancy and chance the outside world.

That's how I fell into freelance - and it's been the best decision of my career. in the last 9 months I have worked for some amazing agencies, learnt so much from other incredibly talented designers, expanded my portfolio and client list. I've learnt a different approach to work and how I deal with work situations.

I am finishing the year with a completely different life, and one that I couldn't be happier with.

I am the director of my own limited company, I have had my work on the BBC website, I have had my photography published in a book (http://www.letterpool.com), I have started my own PDF culture magazine with close to 10, 000 downloads (http://www.jetpacmagazine.com) - and I have made some fantastic new friends, contacts and collaborators.

I'd like to say a massive thank you to all of the people that have made this year into such a great one for me, if I start listing people, I am bound to miss someone off - so let's just say 'You know who you are'.

Neil

0 comments:

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Previous Posts

About me


Neil Richards aka websitesarelovely aka jetpac magazine.
web designer by day - everything else the rest of the time.
photographer, designer, print, web, (ex-painter), magazine contributor, husband, godfather, got fatter, etc..

run(ish) my own online magazine:
www.jetpacmagazine.com/
decided to split my flickr personality and add my illustrative work:
www.flickr.com/photos/jetpacmagazine/


corporate(ish) site showing my 9-10 years of web design for some quality companies in the games industry and corporate big-hitters:
www.websitesarelovely.com/
my flickr photos
www.flickr.com/photos/websitesarelovely/

anyway - enough about me, tell me about yourself. hello@websitesarelovely.com

Tags

stuff in my head and on the web